Added: 19 September 2017
Vauxhall has been now been producing the Astra model at its Ellesmere Port plant in Cheshire for almost 40 years, and earlier this month reached a landmark as the 4 millionth Astra rolled off the production line.
Vauxhall Astra Production A silver 1.6 litre Astra 5 door model became the 4,000,000th Astra to roll off the production line at Ellesmere Port on the 4th of September 2017, and has reportedly been sold and to a customer in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire! Vauxhall began making the much loved family hatch way back in 1981, and the Ellesmere Port plant has provided employment for generations of workers and in the process has created millions of pounds for the local economy. Today it employs nearly 2,000 workers as it builds approximately 680 Astra’s every day, while many more people depend on its production with jobs servicing the supply chain. Ellesmere Port has now produced seven generations of the Astra model since it began and has exported over two million vehicles to 25 European countries. Vauxhall Motors has invested over £200 million into the Ellesmere Port factory in recent years and nearly 80 per cent of its production is now exported out of the UK.
The celebratory image above took 12 hours to assemble and includes 57 red and 179 white Astra cars which spell out the landmark achievement.
7 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT THE ASTRA
- The Astra replaced the Viva and was the first Vauxhall model with front-wheel drive
- One in four Brits has owned or driven an Astra
- Collectively we’ve driven 216 billion miles in Astra’s – that’s enough to drive to the sun and back 1,161 times
- The length of 4 million Astra’s placed end-to-end would take you to China and back
- The Astra’s name derives from the Latin Astralis, meaning the stars
- The Astra has always been a popular police patrol car – the Mk6 model was used by 54 different constabularies
- Multi-award winning, the Astra most recently won European Car of the Year in 2016
If you would like to find out more about the new Vauxhall Astra simply Contact Us here at Drive Vauxhall.